When companies send their employees to one of their affiliated companies in Korea, they can consider two types of visas for their assignee’s visa in Korea. One is D-7 visa and the other is D-8 visa. There are many people who are confused of those two visa types because some expatriates have D-7 visas and other expatriates have D-8 visas. It would be better important to find out which visa type would be appropriate for their employees being transferred to Korea.

What is the difference between D-7 and D-8

There are two types of companies for foreign companies which are establishing their entities in Korea. One is a “Branch” and the other is a “Foreign Invested Company”. This type of company is the factor that distinguishes between D-7 visa and D-8 visa. If a local entity in Korea is registered as a branch office, an assignee being transferred to the entity should apply for D-7 visa. And if a local entity in Korea is registered as a foreign invested company, an assignee being transferred to the entity should apply for D-8 visa.

How to find out the type of local entity

After establishing a company in Korea, the company receives an important document which can indicate whether the company is a branch or a foreign invested company. The branch office should get a “permission for the establishment of the branch office” or an “acceptance of the declaration of the branch”. On the other hand, the foreign invested company should get a “certificate of foreign invested company”. By considering those two documents, the company can find out whether they need to process D-7 visa or D-8 visa for their assignees. The company should keep the documents well since they are one of required documents for D-7 or D-8.

Immigration office in Korea named D-7 visa as “Intra-Company Transferee” and D-8 as “Corporate/Foreign Investor”. This naming would have made people confused. Not only investor him/herself, but also employee of the investor company can receive the D-8 visa It would have been better if D-7 visa was named as transferee to a branch and D-8 visa was named as transferee to a foreign invested company.

For more information about D-8 visa, please see our other posts here, D-8 Visa – Employee Transferred to Korea & D-8 Visa or E-7 Visa in KoreaFor more information about D-7 visa, please see out other post here, Assignment to Branch or Liaison Office in Korea.