any people visiting in Korea know how modernized and developed Korea is. But historical and cultural places to visit in Korea are not well recognized. So We has selected 8 best historical and cultural places to visit in Korea. All of them boast a unique history and culture. And they are home to beautiful natural surroundings as must-see attractions of Korea. Hope you can enjoy the best places to visit in Korea.
Andong Hahoe Village
It is Korea’s most representative upper-class village. Korea’s representative single clan village has well presented traditional houses of the Joseon Dynasty to this day. Visitors can see how people, specially the upper-class, lived in those times.
Location: Hahoe-ri, Pungcheon-myeon, Andong-si, Gyeongsangbuk-do
- Clan village of the Pungsan Ryu family
- Beautiful natural scenery created by the Nakdonggang River
- Hahoe Byeolsingut nori, Seonyujubul nori, and other traditional performances
- Architectural beauty of Byeongsanseowon Confucian Academy
- Andong International Maskdance Festival
Website for Information: http://www.hahoe.or.kr/english/sub1/sub1.asp
Namsan & Wolseong Districts of Gyeongju Historic Areas
Mountains are boasting great natural scenery. They are the proud millennial history of the Silla Kingdom.
Location: Downtown and the Namsan Mountain areas of Gyeongju, Gyeongsangbuk-do
- In addition to the 1968 designation of the Gyeongju National Park, Gyeongju Historic Area was also designated as a UNESCO World Heritage in December of 2000.
- As a cluster of precious historical and legendary relics of the Silla era, there are many royal tombs, palaces sites, Buddhist relics and much more.
- Gyerim Forest, Wolseong Fortress, Cheomseongdae Observatory, Tomb of King Naemul and Daereungwon Ancient Tombs are among the many historical relics scattered in the Wolseong District.
- Najeong, the birthplace of Park Hyeokgeose, the founder of the Silla Kingdom
- Poseokjeong Watercourse, a symbol of the ruin of Silla
Website for Information: http://guide.gyeongju.go.kr/deploy/eng/
Suwon Hwaseong Fortress
Many people consider it as height of Joseon Dynasty Science. It is a UNESCO World Heritage that has combined design and military facilities.
Location: Jangan-gu, Suwon-si, Gyeonggi-do
- This UNESCO World Heritage has merged theories of both Western and Eastern military bases.
- The shapes and designs of all the structures inside the 6-km-long fortress are highly praised.
- Recovery of the Hwaseong Culture
- Hwaseong Haenggung Palace, Hwaseong Museum, Yungneung and Geolleung Royal Tombs, Yongjusa Temple and other attractions related to King Jeongjo.
- Wolhwawon Garden in Hyowon Park, Pulhyanggi Arboretum, etc.
Website for Information: https://www.swcf.or.kr/english/
It is one of the World’s top five coastal wetlands. The region’s motivation and creativity is restoration and sustainable use of ecological resources.
Location: Dosa-dong, Byeollyang-myeon and Haeryong-myeon in Suncheon-si, Jeollanam-do
- Acknowledged as an important site for preservation under the Ramsar Convention in 2006.
- Natural Monuments such as hooded craned, oyster catchers and spoonbills.
- Suncheonman Natural Ecosystem
- Host city of the Suncheon Bay Garden Expo 2013
- Songgwangsa Temple, Seonamsa Temple, Suncheon Wild Tea Center, Naganeupseong Town Wall, etc.
- Boseong Green Tea Field. Seomjingang Train Village in Gokseong, Goheung Space Center
Website for Information: http://www.suncheonbay.go.kr/?r=ENG
Seongsan Ilchulbong Peak (tuff cones)
Many people considers it as the best site of Jeju Island. It is designated as a UNESCO World Heritage for its great geological worth.
Location: Seongsan-ri, Seongsan-eup, Seogwipo-si, Jeju Special Self-governing Province
- Spewed lava during the mid-Pleistocene epoch created 182 meters high crater on east Jeju Island.
- Natural Monument of Korea in 2000
- Udo Island, Seopjikoji Cliff, Oreum (parasitic cone), Manjanggul Cave, Jeju Olle Trails, etc.
It is 140,000,000 years of Ancient Mystery. It is Korea’s oldest and largest wetland, and an exceptional ecological repository.
Location: Daehap-myeon, Ibang-myeon and Yueo-myeon in Changnyeong-gun, Gyeongsangnam-do
- Acknowledged as an important site for preservation under the Ramsar Convention in 1998.
- Comprised of Upo, Mokpo, Sajipo and Jjokjibeol wetlands
- Upo Wetland Ecosystem Pavilion
- Nakdonggang Gaebiri-gil Trail, natural wetlands, etc.
Website for Information: http://www.cng.go.kr/eng/00002923/00003276.web
Bukchon & Insa-dong
In Bukchon and Insadong, tradition meets modernity. Bukchon, hometown of Joseon Dynasty scholars, and Insa-dong are a collage of Korean culture.
Location: Insa-dong, Samcheong-dong, Jae-dong and Gahoe-dong in Jongno-gu, Seoul
- Hanok (traditional house) of the Joseon Dynasty royals and scholars
- Initially a cluster of arts and crafts shops and cultural relics shops, then in 1988 merchants got together and initiated the Traditional Culture Street
- The 5 major palaces of Korea, the National Museum of Korea, Seoul Fortress, Namdaemun Market, Myeong-dong, etc.
Website for Information: http://hanok.seoul.go.kr/front/eng/index.do
Jeonju Hanok Village
It is cluster of Hanok (traditional house) and globalization of “HanStyle”, and a landmark of traditional Korean culture.
Location: Gyo-dong and Pungnam-dong in Wansan-gu, Jeonju-si, Jeollabuk-do
- The entire village portrays the history of the hanok
- Repository of historical relics such as Gyeonggijeon Shrine, Jeonjuhyanggyo Confucian School and Jeongdong Catholic Church
- Jeonjuhyanggyo Confucian School, Pungnammun Gate, Nambu Market, Makgeolli Alley, Bibimbap, etc.
- Hanok accommodation, cultural facilities, HanStyle experience programs
- Korean Traditional Culture Academy, Jeonju National Museum, Namgosanseong Fortress, Hanji Museum, etc.
Website for Information: http://english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/ATR/SI_EN_3_1_1_1.jsp?cid=264285
We have selected above 8 best places to visit in Korea. They are related to Korean history and culture. If you need a private tour program, please look at the private tour website here. For more information about Korea, please see other posts, Brief Information about Korea & Travel to East Side(coast) of Korea.